The XcapedCat is delighted to host today here, the one of a kind blogger – the beautiful Nicky Hari. Nicky is an 18 years old passionate blogger from India. Currently a student, she is a perpetual learner, an avid tweeter and a music lover. She has also written guest articles for Tech18.com, HarshAjmera.com, ArKarthick.com and on 2morrowknight’s awesome blog. Her work is listed among the “top 10 articles about twitter” on The Top10 blog, and she is featured in the top 64 Indian bloggers on Tech18.com.
N00b on twitter? You want to know how to be a perfect tweep? You don’t really understand what twitter is all about, you’ll just need to hit her blog and Follow her on twitter.
Nicky – The Floor is yours. Miaaaaouw,
Remember the time when you saw the “Psst the new twitter is here” at the top of your page on Twitter? What was your first reaction? Excitement? And then you hit the button to preview it, were you still excited with the new twitter?
There have been a lot of mixed reactions regarding the new twitter available on twitter.com. Some users being loyal third party app(s) tweeters, it won’t affect them much, but if you tweet from twitter.com, you’ll see that some major changes have been made.
So, how exactly IS the new twitter?
- It’s sleek: Using new twitter almost gives you the feeling of using an app. The whole screen is divided into two big columns which makes it more organized.
- History of conversation in DMs: There is no ‘inbox’ and ‘sent’ as such. You see the whole thread of the conversations which makes it easier to follow DM conversations.
- Photos, videos are embedded: If you click on a tweet containing a photo , it enlarges in the right column it, without leaving Twitter. I find this as a very welcome change instead of opening a new tab for it, and like this we can view the pics on the same page. Similarly , videos play right on Twitter without leaving the page.
- Your own name in tweets. Whenever I wanted to tweet someone by name, I had to visit his/her profile and tweet him/her. The new twitter makes this process faster by showing your name just beside your handle in your tweet. That saves time and makes things easier.
- Lacks simplicity: It just feels like they have complicated things too much. Even though the basics like Lists, Favorites, ReTweets, Who To Follow, Following and Followers remain the same, it just doesn’t feel right. Every time I need to check my lists, I have to look for the Lists option amidst so many other things on the page. This will need some getting used to.
- Suggestions. Twitter suggests tweeps, you should be following. While a majority of people may find this annoying for the reason that they will follow whoever they want anyway. While others find it useful to find tweeps having similar interests. What do you think? Is the ‘Who To Follow’ feature useful or not?
Personally, I don’t think anything about the New Twitter is ugly. It’s just cluttered. In trying to make the page more ‘alive’, the new twitter ended up being what we call ‘Too many things all at once’. Some might absolutely hate the new twitter at first glance.
Here are some changes Twitter should consider:
- Conference DMs: As of now, only two tweeps can have a private conversation on twitter. It would be awesome if twitter introduces conference DM as well, which would help multiple tweeps engage better.
- Option to add and delete columns : A la tweetdeck or hootsuite, if twitter would considers an option of adding one column for list, another one for favorites etc which could definitely help to organize the new twitter better. Hence it would not look as crowded as it does now.
Now that the ‘old twitter won’t be around for much longer’, getting used to the new twitter is what we can do at the moment, but I really think twitter should not make it mandatory to everyone. New twitter does have negatives but it has many positives too.
What do you think? Do you like the new twitter? Why? Hate it? Why? Any more changes twitter should consider according to you? Feel free to leave a comment!